What is Noun?
The noun is the first parts of speech in English grammar. Words that represent any name are nouns. A noun is a word that functions as the name of some specific thing or set of things, such as living creatures, objects, places, actions, qualities, the state of existence or ideas.
- Mahendra is a good batsman. (name of living creatures)
- The ball is in the box. (name of an object)
- Kolkata is a beautiful place. (name of a place)
- The patriotism of Netaji inspired us. (name of an action)
- Honesty is the best policy. (name of a quality)
- Ramesh is my childhood friend. (name of state of existence)
Classification of Noun:
There are six types of nouns, and they are-
- Common Noun
- Proper Noun
- Collective Noun
- Abstract Noun
- Material Noun
- Gerund/Verbal Noun
1. Common Noun:
- The cow is a domestic animal.
- Birds lay eggs in their nest.
- He is a brave man.
2. Proper Noun:
A Proper noun is the name of some particular person or place.
- Sachin Tendulkar is a great batsman.
- Jaipur is called the pink city.
NOTE: A proper noun is often used as a common noun.
Let’s understand this with the following example.
- Sachin (1st noun) is the Bradman (2nd noun) of India.
Sachin Tendulkar is a proper noun which defines a particular person. But in this example, ‘Bradman’ does not represent any particular person. It defines those players who played like Sir Don Bradman. So. in this example ‘Bradman’ represents a class, not a person.
3. Collective Noun:
For example; (list of collective nouns)
- A fleet – a collection of ships or vessel
- An army – a group of soldiers
- A crowd – a group of people
- A library – a collection of books, etc
4. Abstract Noun:
The word ‘Abstract’ means theoretical. Abstract nouns are usually the name of a quality, action or state.
5. Material Noun:
Material nouns are usually the name of materials.
- Gold is a very precious metal.
- We cannot live without water.
6. Gerund or Verbal Noun:
A verbal noun is a noun formed from or otherwise corresponding to a verb.
- Swimming is a good exercise.
- That was an awful decision by the coach.
The perfect one-liner for what is noun is that a noun is a word that functions as the name of living creatures, objects, places, actions, qualities, states of existence, or ideas. Everything that refers a name is a noun.