In this post, we will discuss some important one word substitutions start with A for Competitive Banking and Govt. job exams.
One word substitutions start with A
1. Abridge – Shorten(a book, film, speech, etc.) without losing the sense.
2. Abbreviation – A shorter form of a word or phrase.
3. Ablutomania – Mania of washing oneself.
4. Accessible – Able to reached or entered (place)/ friendly & easy to talk to (person)
5. Acclimatize – Become accustomed to a new climate or new conditions.
6. Acquaint – Make oneself familiar with a person or thing.
7. Acquittal – The act of freeing a person from a charge by the verdict.
8. Acrophobia – Fear of height.
9. Actuary – One who calculates the premium.
10. Adolescence – The period between childhood and adulthood.
11. Adonis – A handsome man. (SSC CGL 2015)
12. Agnostic – One who doubts the existence of God.
13. Alimony – Allowance paid to wife on legal separation.
14. Almanac – An annual calendar.
15. Alma mater – The school or college in which one has been educated.
16. Altruist – A person who loves everybody.
17. Amateur – One who does something not professionally but for pleasure.
18. Ambassador – A person who represents his state in a foreign country.
19. Amnesia – Loss of memory.
20. Amnesty – Official pardon.
21. Anarchy – Absence of government.
22. Anecdote – A story about a real person or event.
23. Anemophobia – Fear of wind.
24. Anomaly – Deviation from common rule.
25. Anonymous – Not identified by name./ Commonly used for a book written by an unknown author.
26. Antedate – Come before in time.
27. Anthology – A collection of poems. (WBCS 2006)
28. Anthropology – A study of humans within past and present civilizations.
29. Antidote – A medicine to counteract the poison. (WBCS 2013)
30. Angler – A man who catches fish as a hobby. (WBCS 2011)
31. Apostate – One who abandons his religious faith.
32. Aphonia – A complete loss of voice
33. Aristocracy – A form of government in which power is held by the nobility./ The highest class in certain societies.
34. Arsenal – A place where weapons & ammunition are stored.
35. Ascetic – One who practices severe self-discipline and avoid self-indulges for religious reasons.
36. Asylum – A home for lunatics.
37. Assassin – A person who kills somebody especially.
38. Atheist – One who does not believe in the existence of God.
39. Aurist – A specialist who treats all types of ear diseases and problems. (Otologist)
40. Aural – Relating to the ear or sense of hearing. (WBCS 2012)
41. Autocracy – A government by one person with complete power.
42. Avaricious – A person extremely desirous of money/ greedy. (SSC CGL Mains 2015)
43. Aviary – Large cage or house for keeping birds.
- One word substitutions start with ‘B’
- One word substitutions start with ‘C’
- One word substitutions start with ‘D’
- One word substitutions start with ‘E